There's no place like home for the holidays! Unfortunately, the holidays create special risks for your home. Be sure to heed the following advice to keep your home and loved ones safe this holiday season!
Holiday Safety Tips:
- Do not light candles near your Christmas tree.
- Blow out candles when leaving a room.
- Place your Christmas tree away from heat sources — such as radiators, space heaters, and fireplaces.
- Keep live Christmas trees watered. A dry Christmas tree can become highly flammable.
- Use only non-flammable holiday decorations.
- Test your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors to ensure they are working properly.
- Don't overload your outlets with too many lights or devices.
- Before hanging up lights, inspect them for frayed wires or other defects.
- Turn off holiday lights before leaving the house or going to bed.
- Have your chimney cleaned and inspected before you start using it over the holiday season.
- If you have a live Christmas tree, sweep up fallen needles to prevent pokes to skin and feet.
- Do not light a fire with stockings hanging down over your fireplace.
- Keep holiday plants out of reach of children and dogs. Many can be poisonous — such as cyclamen, amaryllis, and mistletoe.
- Only use indoor lights indoors and outdoor lights outdoors. Check the label on the box before hanging up lights.
- If you have small children, supervise them around your Christmas tree. Small ornaments can be a choking hazard so do not hang them on low branches. Instead, place these ornaments near the top of the tree.
- Use a step ladder, not a chair or furniture, when hanging holiday decorations inside.
- Practice ladder safety when hanging outdoor holiday lights. Extension ladders should be placed one foot away from the surface it rests on for every four feet of ladder height.
- When using extension cords, run them against walls to prevent tripping hazards.
- To protect cords from damage, do not place them under rugs or pinch them behind furniture or under windows. Do not attach cords with staples or nails.
- Do not use more than three sets of lights on any one extension cord.
- Supervise holiday cooking. Always keep a close eye on anything that is being cooked in the kitchen.
The Ferris Property Group wishes you and yours a very happy and safe holiday season!